Sunday, January 31, 2016

Recipe: Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

I always love ordering a bowl of French Onion Soup when we go out to eat. The broth feels  so good on my throat and something about that bread and cheese on top is just. delicious.

But I have never felt capable of making it at home because I have none of the adorable, personal sized crocks to use and none of the fancy G cheese that I can't even pronounce.  Until now!

I found this recipe from one of my favorite Slow Cooker blogs ever.  If you haven't heard of her, be prepared to have your world rocked:  she cooked in her slow cooker every day for A YEAR. NO REPEATING. Yeah. So, let's just say her blog is where I go when I feel like I'm out of ideas in the kitchen...she has unique and surprising recipes that are usually super simple and quick to throw together.

Best part:  I learned something new about my Slow Cooker!  It can be used as a giant crock in my oven.  (Some of you are like duh that's why it's called a Crock Pot).  And now I,too, realize that :) Although that is not the way I chose to do this recipe, I loved reading her original post to see that I can do that in the future!

So, here ya go! Try it out when you buy those bags of yellow onions buy-one-get-one-free and then you think how am I going to use all these onions?!  It's even great warmed up throughout the week.

Recipe: French Onion Soup
From: The Home Stretch (www.schemmerhomestretch.blogspot.com)

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
2 yellow onions, sliced in rings
2 boxes beef broth
1 tablespoon sugar
kosher salt to taste
3 tablespoons butter
garlic powder, oregano, parsley
1 loaf "Everything" Italian Bread from bakery
Sliced Provolone cheese

Directions:
1. Heat crock pot to HIGH while you slice the onions in rings.
2. Separate 3 T of butter and melt in bottom of hot crock pot.
3. Separate onion rings and place them in hot butter, stirring with spoon to coat.
4. Add beef broth, sugar and salt.
5. Turn crock pot to LOW and cook for 6-8 hours or until onions are translucent.
6. Set oven to LOW BROILER option.
7. Slice loaf of bread into 1-2 inch pieces.
8. Melt 3 T of butter in microwave and add dash of garlic powder, oregano & parsley when melted.
9. Brush butter mixture on one side of each piece of bread.
10. Place 1 slice of Provolone cheese on top of each buttered side.
11. Place slices on baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.

To serve, ladle soup into large bowl and place one piece of garlic cheese bread on top of soup.



If serving as left overs, you can remake the bread fresh and add to "old" soup or even just place the bread in the toaster for an easier option!


No comments:

Post a Comment